VVOB: partnerships and sustainability key
VVOB – education for development is an organisation based in Belgium with more than 35 years of experience in sustainably improving the quality of education systems. VVOB has received support for this from multiple leading funding partners, adding up to a total annual budget of over 13 million euros.
VVOB reinforces the capacity of ministries of Education and their institutions to implement their education policies as effectively as possible. This guarantees the sustainability of results.
The geographical, thematic and operational choices VVOB makes in each programme are informed by relevant research and the policy priorities of VVOB’s partner countries, and formulated in partnership with their governments.
In general, VVOB focusses on the professional development of teachers and on effective school leadership by strengthening the institutions tasked with their initial training and continued professional development.
VVOB’s portfolio extends to four educational subsectors, identified by SDG 4 as specific target areas for quality education:
- early childhood education in Vietnam | Zambia | Belgium
- primary education in Vietnam | Cambodia | Rwanda | South Africa | Zambia | Belgium
- general secondary education in Rwanda | Belgium
- secondary technical and vocational education and training (TVET) in DR Congo | Ecuador | Suriname | Belgium
Equity, particularly gender equity, and inclusivity in education are at the forefront of all VVOB’s interventions.
Quality education is the foundation for development. VVOB contributes to an equitable world in which governments are capacitated to respect, protect and fulfil the right to quality education for every learner, without any form of discrimination.
VVOB ensures the improvement of the quality of education:
- through capacity building of government education actors and other education actors in the global South. This is achieved through technical assistance provided by local and international experts.
- by connecting these actors in the global South with each other, and connecting actors in the North with actors in the South. This way, VVOB facilitates knowledge exchange between partners with a similar mission.
- by inspiring education actors in Flanders and the South on equity-related issues in education, based on worldwide research, experiences and expertise.
- Quality in achievements and learning
- Integrity in professional relations and in leadership
- Respect for local policies, people and planet
- Commitment to quality education for all
- Innovation in facing complex challenges